EA began running its own digital games service in 2011 under the name “Origin” to allow users purchase and play video games. A lot of popular games are hosted on Origin, including SIMS 4, Battlefield, and Titanfall. It has clients for all the major operating system platforms.
For a lot of PC and Mac gamers, Origin is essential. Despite that, it is not uncommon to experience errors where Origin won’t open on MacBook and Windows 10 when you try to access it. This can be a very frustrating experience. The good news is; this issue can be fixed.
Origin Won’t Open on MacBook and Windows 10? Possible Causes
If you are stuck with this issue, you must be wondering why Origin won’t open on your MacBook or Windows 10 PC. There are quite a few possible causes. I’ll highlight a few of them below:
- Compatibility problems with outdated software
- Corrupted Origin files leading to errors
- System crashes
- Origin not being up to date
- Antivirus or anti-malware disruption
Origin Won’t Open on MacBook and Windows 10? How to Fix the Problem
Now that you know why Origin won’t open on your MacBook and Windows 10 PC, the next step is examining in detail, how to deal with this issue. Because there are many possible causes, we will offer multiple solutions. Follow along, and hopefully, one of these fixes does the trick.
Fixing Origin Won’t Open on Windows 10 On PC:
- Wipe Origin’s cache and temporary files: This is a solution that many people find solves the issue on Windows 10. To wipe the cache:
- Make sure Origin is closed and not running in the background.
- Press both the Windows key and the R button at the same time (Win+R). That will bring up the Run dialog box.
- Type in %ProgramData% and then click Enter.
- Locate the Origin folder and double-click to open it.
- Mark all the files and folders in the Origin folder apart from the LocalContent folder. Delete the selected items.
- Back to your keyboard, press Win+R a second time >> Type in %AppData% this time >> Press Enter.
- Locate the Origin folder, and delete it.
- Select the AppData folder in the address bar. Open the Local folder inside it.
- Delete the Origin folder.
- Cache and temporary files have now been deleted. Restart your Windows 10 PC.
- Whitelist Origin on your third-party anti-virus software: This solution is also relevant for MacBook users. Sometimes, your third-party anti-virus software may consider Origin a threat, and for that reason, Origin won’t run on the MacBook or Windows 10 PC.
In this situation, add the Origin app as a Whitelisted app to prevent the anti-virus software from killing it.
Read also: Discord Stream No Sound? Working Fixes
- Run Compatibility Troubleshooter and Compatibility Mode: If you’ve carried out the first step and Origin still won’t open on your Windows 10, don’t worry. The next step will involve the Compatibility Troubleshooter.
- Right-click the Origin shortcut on your desktop and select “Properties”
- Select the Compatibility tab.
- Click “Run compatibility troubleshooter”
- Select the recommended settings option and wait for it to run.
If this does not solve the problem, under “Compatibility Mode” in the Compatibility tab:
- Select previous versions of Windows from the drop-down box.
- Click the “Run this program as an administrator” checkbox.
- Make sure the “Disable fullscreen optimization” box is unchecked.
- Click OK to apply the changes.
- Uninstall and Reinstall the Origin software: Another alternative is to uninstall the Origin app and reinstall a new one.
- Open the Control Panel.
- Locate the “Uninstall a program” option under the Programs menu and click it.
- Locate Origin under “Programs and Features”. Right-click and select Uninstall.
- Restart your PC.
- To reinstall, head over to the EA Origin website and download the latest available version of the software.
- Clean Boot Your PC: If the uninstall/reinstall process does not work, then you know for sure that the issue is with your device. A clean boot helps you disable other auto-start apps that may be competing with your Origin for network access.
- Press Win+R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
- Type in MSConfig and press Enter.
- In the “System Configuration” window, select the Services tab, and check “Hide all Microsoft services”. Click “Disable all”.
- Select the Startup tab >> Click “Open Task Manager”.
- Select each item in the Startup tab and click Disabled.
- Back in the System Configuration window, click OK.
- Restart your computer.
- Update your Windows 10 Graphics Drivers: The final step is to update your graphics drivers just in case they are outdated.
- Go to Settings on your PC.
- Navigate to “Update & Security” and click on it.
- Click on “Windows Update” and then “Check for updates”.
- If there are any pending updates, you should install them.
- Restart your computer.
Fixing Origin Won’t Open On MacBook
If you own a MacBook instead of a Windows 10 PC and find that Origin won’t open on your MacBook, you simply need to uninstall and reinstall the Origin client.
Alternatively, you can use the Reset Origin option too.
- Download the Reset Origin tool from its website.
- On your Downloads folder, select ResetOrigin.zip and double-click it.
- Double–click the ResetOrigin file and click the Reset Origin button.
- Insert your Administrator password in the box and click OK.
- When the reset is complete, click OK.
So there you have it – working fixes for “Origin won’t open on your MacBook and Windows 10”. If you have followed these steps, that annoying issue should be fixed and you can carry on playing all of your favorite games.
Read also: How to Update GPU Drivers on Windows 10
John follows everything happening in the tech industry, from the latest gadget launches to some of the big-name moves in the industry. He covers opinionated pieces and writes on some of the biggest names in the industry. John is also a freelance writer, so he shares articles on freelancing every now and then. email: [email protected]