All too often computer users complain about how long it takes for their PC to boot up, load an app or a web page. For others, freezing or crashing apps is an everyday experience. Many of these issues could be caused by RAMs and hard drives that are being used to the limit, while some computers have completely different reasons why they get slow.
That brings us to the main question: why is Windows 10 so slow? There are several reasons why you may be experiencing this issue. In this article, we look into the common culprits for a slow-running Windows 10 PC. Thereafter, we’ll examine how to clean up whatever is making your PC lag.
Why Is Windows 10 Running So Slow? Causes
- Too many background programs: The most common cause of Windows 10 running slow is too many apps being opened in the background. This limits the performance of other necessary programs that need to run. Users with this problem experience system lagging, freezing, or app crashes from time to time. Pages will take forever to load and high graphics programs may not load at all.
- Corrupt hard drive: Viruses are dangerous to a computer’s performance. When in action, it can consume a significant amount of your computer’s memory. When more spaces are occupied by viruses, the memory left for legitimate computer programs reduce. This results in very slow performance when trying to open an application or a web page.
- Overheating: Every computer has a processor, and for the processor to keep working at an optimal level, ventilation is important. That is why every computer has a fan that keeps this processor working. However, when the fan stops working or when the computer is used in a less ventilated environment, this processor is deprived of adequate ventilation. This is another reason why Windows 10 is so slow.
- Outdated Windows Version: The best practice for computer health is to regularly install updates. These updates are used by developers to ensure that each computer is functioning well. However, when updates are not installed when due, computer functions will be inconsistent. Some users who asked “why is Windows 10 so slow?” have found this to be true.
- Not enough memory: When there is insufficient storage on your mobile phone, it lags and advises you to free up some space, the same is true of computers generally. When a significant amount of hard disk space is used, it reduces the memory needed to run other necessary programs that keep your computer going. You will normally get a low disk space notification.
- Computer running for a long time: Although rare, your computer might just need some rest. If you have been working on your computer for hours nonstop, it takes a toll on the computer hardware. The processor, the fan, and other parts of the computer may start misbehaving.
Is your computer running slow? How to fix Mac, Dell, HP PCs
Fix 1: Reboot your computer
When was the last time you restarted your computer? It is true that to quickly pick up from where they left off, some people simply ‘sleep’ their computers. However, if you have been doing that for a couple of weeks, it is time to give your computer (Mac, Dell, HP, or any other brand) a much-needed reboot.
Save your documents and any other job you have opened then shut the computer down. This gives the processor time to terminate all running processes and start afresh. Leave it in this state for some time before restarting your computer. This should fix the problem.
Fix 2: Do a full scan to remove viruses
Since viruses can slow your computer, you should remove any malicious file or software from your computer immediately. Initiate a full scan of your computer to identify and remove any viruses, getting an antivirus or using the Windows Defender helps you do this fast.
Read also: How to Update GPU Drivers on Windows 10
Fix 3: End unnecessary background processes
One easy way to fix a computer running slow is by ending unnecessary applications running in the background.
For Mac users,
- Open a new window and click applications on the left-hand side of the windows
- Click on the Utilities folder
- Locate the Activity monitor application and double click on it
This opens a list of running applications where you can end programs that are not in use
For Window Users,
- Type Task Manager in the Windows search bar
- When the list of running applications is displayed, right-click on a program you wish to end
- Select End Task
Fix 4: Update Operating System
For Mac users, on the Apple menu, choose System Preferences. After that, choose System Update to check if there is an update. If there is one, click the Update Now tab to install the update.
For Windows users, Select the Windows button and click Settings. Next, select Windows & Security option which will lead you to the Windows Update tab. Click this tab to Download and Install windows updates.
Read also: How to Increase FPS on Windows 10 Laptops
Fix 5: Free up some memory
This involves deleting obsolete files and documents from your computer. As you free more space, other important computer programs will have more breathing space.
Is your computer running slow? How to clean up
There are several ways to clean up a computer that is running slow. Check out these fast and easy ways to do this.
- Delete old files and uninstall unused applications
- Upgrade the RAM
- Run a disk clean up
- Vacuum the air vents to clean any dust within the CPU
- Restart your computer at least once a week
- Save pictures and videos in an external drive
- Scan your computer for viruses once every month
- How to Improve Gaming Performance on a Windows 10 Laptop
- How to fix Windows 10 Factory Reset Issues
- Chrome Localhost Refused To Connect on Windows 10? Working Fixes
- Stop Code 0x1E KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED on Windows 10 – Top Working Fixes
- How to Activate Windows 10 Permanently
- How to Create an INI File on Windows