Many users have complained of not receiving WhatsApp messages unless they open the app on their phones. Since you are here, I bet you have the same issue and you want to know what to do.
Of course, you can’t afford to miss messages that require your urgent attention, hence the need to find out what the problem is and fix it.
Well, look no further, this article is just what you need. Here, you’ll see why you have not been receiving WhatsApp messages unless you open the app on your android or iPhone.
We’ll also tell you how to fix this issue so that you can start getting your WhatsApp messages without opening the app on your phone.
Not Receiving WhatsApp Messages Unless You Open the App? Causes
There are several reasons that you are not able to receive WhatsApp messages unless you open the app. These include:
- WhatsApp notification settings: If push notifications are not enabled for WhatsApp in the settings, you will not get WhatsApp messages unless you open the app on your phone first.
- No WIFI or cellular connection: WhatsApp push notifications require active WIFI or cellular connection to show on your phone. Check if you have an active connection by opening your browser, and then try to visit a website. If it does not load, this means that your phone is not connected to the internet.
- Background app/data restriction: If you enabled “restrict background data”, WhatsApp push notifications will not show (when WhatsApp is working in the background) until you open the app itself.
- Do not disturb mode: When the “do not disturb” option is enabled on your phone, you will not get WhatsApp push notifications.
- Battery saving mode or data saving mode: If your phone is in battery saving mode or data saving mode, you may not receive WhatsApp notifications. Battery/power-saving mode automatically restricts the app’s background actions and prevents you from getting push notifications like you used to. Therefore, you must be sure that you have not put your phone in data-saving mode or battery-saving mode.
- Outdated WhatsApp version: If you are using an obsolete version of WhatsApp, you will not be able to receive WhatsApp messages or notifications. You will have to update your WhatsApp version to the latest version.
Not Receiving WhatsApp Messages Unless You Open the App? Best Fixes
Most times, you can fix the issue of not receiving WhatsApp push messages yourself. Let’s see how you can go about it.
FIX 1: Enable WhatsApp notifications in phone settings
First, you have to check if push notifications are disabled for your WhatsApp. Here is how to check:
On your android phone, go to Settings >> Apps and notifications >> WhatsApp >> Notifications, if it doesn’t show a list of notifications below “show notifications”, then notifications have been disabled. Toggle to show notifications. Scroll down and toggle to also enable other notifications such as group notifications.
On your iPhone, go to Settings >> Notifications >> WhatsApp. Turn on “Allow Notifications”. You should also review your settings to be sure that they are correct. For instance, you may not see notifications if the “banners” option is not selected.
FIX 2: Enable WhatsApp notifications in WhatsApp settings
Open your WhatsApp, tap Settings, and then “notifications”, and turn on “show notifications” for messages and group notifications.
FIX 3: Disable “Do not disturb”
Go to your phone settings or quick settings panel and disable “do not disturb”.
FIX 4: Disable battery saver and data saver
From your phone settings, check if your battery saver or data saver is turned ON and try turning them OFF to start receiving WhatsApp notifications.
FIX 5: Update iOS
For iPhone users, you can easily update your iPhone to the latest version of iOS by going to settings > general, then software update. Follow the onscreen instructions if there is an update available.
FIX 6: Restart your phone
Sometimes, restarting your android phone or iPhone may resolve your problem. Simply switch OFF your phone and switch it ON again, making sure that all the previously mentioned factors such as “do not disturb”, “power saver”, and so on have been reviewed.
FIX 7: Restore WIFI or cellular data connection
To restore your WIFI or cellular data connection, you can try the following:
- From the quick settings panel of your phone, turn ON “airplane mode” and wait for 10 seconds, then turn it OFF.
- Turn off your WIFI or cellular data and wait for 10 seconds, then turn it ON.
- Restart your phone.
- Restart your router or modem.
- You can also reset your network settings by going to Settings >> General >> Reset >> Reset network settings. However, this will erase your saved WIFI networks and passwords.
FIX 8: Update your WhatsApp to the latest version
You may need to update the WhatsApp you are using to a newer one. This may help fix what may be causing the problem. It is always recommended that you keep your apps up to date.
FIX 9: Delete your WhatsApp and re-install
If you are still having this problem after trying the previous fixes, you may need to delete the app and then re-install it. Here’s how to go about it:
- Backup your data: This will prevent you from losing your WhatsApp data, including your chat history and media files. You can back up to your cloud account. First, you’ll need to open WhatsApp, go to Settings >> Chats >> Chat Backup >> Back Up Now.
- Delete the app: Touch and hold the WhatsApp icon on your home screen, tap “delete app” and tap “delete” again.
- Download new WhatsApp: Open the app store/play store on your phone and search for WhatsApp. Then download and install it.
- Install and restore WhatsApp:Open the just downloaded WhatsApp and follow the onscreen instructions. Then verify your phone number and select “restore” if you want to restore from your backup.
If after trying all the fixes suggested above, you are still not receiving WhatsApp messages unless you open the app on your phone, you may want to contact the WhatsApp support center or visit their website as it offers various troubleshooting tips that you can try.
- Instagram Camera Not Working? Best Fixes
- Android Phone Won’t Download Pictures In Text Messages? Best Fixes
- What does Message Blocking Is Active Mean on Android
- What Does ^^, KPK, ^^”, F and ^_^ Mean In Chat and Texting Symbols
John follows everything happening in the tech industry, from the latest gadget launches to some of the big-name moves in the industry. He covers opinionated pieces and writes on some of the biggest names in the industry. John is also a freelance writer, so he shares articles on freelancing every now and then. email: email@example.com Learn more about tekpip and the team here on our about us page.