You have probably been having some sort of stressful day, so you decide to relax by switching on your PlayStation 4, or you’ve been boasting about how you would defeat your friends at certain games if they decided to hang out at your place on a fun weekend.
The mood was set, the atmosphere was intense. Everything seems perfect except the fact that your PS4 controller is charging but not connecting. This might most likely make you feel more stressed and frustrated or ruin your perfectly planned weekend with your friends, but there’s no room for fear as this can be easily rectified.
First, you need to be aware of the most likely causes of your PS4 controller charging but not connecting:
PS4 Controller Charging But Not Connecting Issue -Causes and Working Fixes
- Faulty connections
- Damaged cables
- Low power
- Connection to multiple devices
- Bad or fake controllers
Here are some quick, easy, and sure-fire solutions to try if your PS4 controller is charging but not connecting:
Fix One: Connect the PS4 controller using a data cable
This is usually the very first solution to try when you are having a connection issue. If the cable that comes with the PS4 console doesn’t work, try another. Also, it is important to note that you should make use of a USB cable in addition to a micro-USB connector. Ensure that the cable works properly and then connect the PS4 controller plus the console with the working cable. You should then restart the console. To know if it works, the console will immediately identify your controller.
Read also: Best PS4 Controller with Paddles
Fix Two: Resetting the PS4 controller
This is another easy and efficient way to solve the charging but not connecting puzzle. So here’s how you go about this:
- Step 1: Completely switch off the PlayStation 4
- Step 2: Find the reset button (Quick hint: it’s at the rear end of the PS4 controller, a very small hole around the L2 shoulder button). Make use of a pin, an unfolded paper-clip, or something similar to push the button and hold it down for a couple of seconds. Then release the button.
- Step 3: Connect your controller to your PS4 console. Then turn your PS4 on. The controller should then be able to connect to the PS4 console easily.
Read also: Cheap Gaming Monitor for PS4
Fix Three: Completely restart the PS4 console
The problem might be as a result of varying issues on the PS4 console which results in the PS4 Controller charging but not connecting situation. What you should do is restart the PS4 console and hopefully, this will solve the issue completely.
So here’s how you should go by it:
- Step 1: Hold and press the power button on the PS4 console, it may take some time but wait until you hear the second beep sound and then release the power button
- Step 2: Remove the power cable. Also, disconnect the controller that wasn’t connecting from the PS4 console
- Step 3: Wait for two to three minutes, then re-insert the power cable. Also, plug the controller or a different one into the console.
Fix Four: Connected to other devices
There are situations whereby the controller just completely refuses to sync with the PS4 console, this may be because PS4 uses a standard Bluetooth connection.
So what does this mean?
If you use the controller on multiple devices e.g. PCs, smartphones, tablets or other devices, etc. You might want to be certain that the controller is not connected to other devices. So, what you should do is disconnect from any other devices you suspect that it might be connected to, then try reconnecting to the console.
Hopefully, any of these fixes will work for you, if they do not, and the PS4 controller is still charging but not connecting, then the cable might be faulty, so get as many multiple MicroUSB cables as you have lying around and repeat the process. Please note that you need to turn off the previously connected controller before switching or connecting a different one.
If it still fails after all the methods and steps highlighted, then something else might be responsible, so you should contact Sony’s PS4 support for further assistance.
John follows everything happening in the tech industry, from the latest gadget launches to some of the big-name moves in the industry. He covers opinionated pieces and writes on some of the biggest names in the industry. John is also a freelance writer, so he shares articles on freelancing every now and then. email: firstname.lastname@example.org