Many who use a windows 10 laptop or have just upgraded to one experience the ‘laptop to TV HDMI no signal’ issue. Besides connecting your laptop to your TV, your HDMI serves the purpose of copy protection. This makes it possible for your TV and laptop to recognize and communicate with each other.
When the HDCP, that is the copy protection encryption isn’t properly recognized by either component, the ‘laptop to TV HDMI no signal’ issue comes up. When your TV is unable to detect incoming display signal from your windows 10 laptop, it could be as a result of any of the following:
Laptop to TV HDMI No Signal – Possible Causes and working Fixes
- Faulty or unsupported HDMI cable
- Outdated device drivers
- Newly installed programs and so on
Usually, the first thing to do when such pops up is to check your HDMI cable to be sure it isn’t loosely fit or damaged. All it might take is to put off both devices, unplug and re-plug HDMI between laptop and TV, restart laptop and TV, and Tada! You are good to go.
But if this simple procedure doesn’t fix the issue, you will need to try out others before thinking of contacting tech support. Let’s see six methods that have fixed laptop to TV HDMI no signal problems for our users.
Make your TV the default device
- On the taskbar, right-click on the volume icon
- Then select Playback devices. In the tab opened, select HDMI or Digital Output Device like your TV
- Select Set as Default, then click OK
Update drivers automatically
- Go to Start >> using the search bar, type Device Manager, and click on it
- Select Display adapters >> then select Intel UHD Graphics card or your own graphics card (if you don’t use Intel)
- Next, click on update drivers
- It will display a prompt asking if you want to update manually by browsing for drivers on the computer or an automatic update listed as search for updated drivers software
- It is often better to search automatically so that windows can search and install the right drivers for your PC
You can also download the drivers from your laptop’s manufacturer directly before installing them.
Try to reset display output
This method is pretty effective. Note that if display output is set wrongly, your PC will not recognize the TV connected to it.
- After connecting your PC to TV using an HDMI cable, right-click on PC’s desktop and select Personalize > select Display (or Search for Display Settings if you don’t find this option) >> Select Advanced Display Settings on the display screen, you should see the connected TV displayed as a second monitor
- If you can’t find your TV, press Windows key + P, then click Duplicate or Extend. After this, windows should be able to detect your TV.
Read also: Best Cheap Laptops for High School Students
Install drivers in compatibility mode
On Windows 10 laptops, you can do the following if laptop to TV HDMI no signal issue pops up.
- Go to the official website of your PC’S manufacturer to download the latest driver for your PC
- Find driver setup file, right-click on it to set it up
- On the displayed screen, click Properties > Compatibility tab
- In the compatibility tab, tick the box for Run this program in compatibility mode for, then in the tab beneath it, select Windows 10 and click Ok
- You can then follow on-screen instructions to complete installation before restarting your PC
Delete recently installed software or apps
If your computer has been connecting to your TV without hassle before but suddenly develops this issue, try to remove any recently installed software. Sometimes, these issues are triggered by such a new installation.
- Go to Start
- In the search bar, type Control panel, then select programs recently added
- Click Uninstall to get rid of them. Turn OFF and restart all devices and reconnect your TV and PC using HDMI cable before putting them back on to see if this will fix the issue
Read also: Best Laptops with Memory Card Readers
Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
- In the search bar, type Troubleshoot Settings
- Click Troubleshoot then select View all in the top left corner
- Click on Hardware and Devices then follow on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter
- After troubleshooting, check to see if the issue is resolved by reconnecting the devices
Any of these options should fix the laptop to TV HDMI no signal issue. But, if after trying all of these options it still does not work, you might need to contact tech support.
Read also: Best Laptops with Nvidia Graphics Card
John follows everything happening in the tech industry, from the latest gadget launches to some of the big-name moves in the industry. He covers opinionated pieces and writes on some of the biggest names in the industry. John is also a freelance writer, so he shares articles on freelancing every now and then. email: [email protected]