There could be any number of reasons you would want to learn how to connect a PS4 controller to laptop. For a significant number of gamers, laboring over a keypad is no fun, never mind the damage passion-fueled gaming can do to your keyboard.
Connecting a PS4 controller to a laptop may be a straightforward process, but getting it to play your games is not exactly as effortless as with an Xbox controller. Following this guide, though, will make it a walk in the park.
How to Connect a PS4 Controller to Laptop – Wired and Wireless Methods
To connect a PS4 controller to your laptop, you’ll need a USB cable if the connection is to be wired or the Bluetooth on your laptop for a wireless connection. Alternatively, you can purchase a USB wireless adapter if your laptop does not come with Bluetooth built-in.
- Simply plug the USB cable into your PS4 controller and slip the other end into the USB port of your laptop
- That’s all there is to it. Your laptop will recognize your controller and automatically install drivers.
Wireless Method (Windows)
- First, turn off your PS4 controller. Press and hold the PlayStation button and the Share button simultaneously for about 3 seconds until the light bar at the top of the controller starts blinking. This will put your controller into pairing mode.
- Open the Bluetooth settings on your laptop.
- Select “Add Bluetooth or other device” and then select “Bluetooth”.
- Your PS4 controller will appear as a “Wireless Controller”. Select it.
- If you are asked for a pairing code, you may pick any easily remembered sequence of numbers and pairs.
Wireless Method (Mac)
- The first step for connecting your PS4 controller to your Mac is exactly as with Windows. Put off your controller and press the PS and Share buttons simultaneously until the light bar on top of the controller starts blinking.
- Open System Preferences, and then Bluetooth.
- Select the wireless controller from the list of Bluetooth devices.
- Click Pair, and the light will stop blinking.
As earlier stated, while connecting your PS4 controller to your laptop is a piece of cake, actually getting it to play your games is a little more complicated. There are two options available to you:
Read also: Best Gaming Monitors for PS4 under $200
How to use your PS4 controller in Steam
Steam is the go-to store and launcher of PC games for a lot of gamers. It boasts a ton of paid and free titles, covering a wide range of genres. Steam recently offered official support for the DualShock 4, so you can now connect your PS4 controller to your laptop and enjoy your favorite games on Steam.
- Load up Steam, and make sure it is updated.
- Open Big Picture Mode by clicking the controller-shaped icon at the top-right corner.
- In Settings, select the Controller Settings menu.
- Enable the PlayStation Configuration Support.
- If your DualShock 4 controller is already connected, then you’re ready to go.
This method is not the best for everybody though. You may find that your favorite PC games are not on Steam, so this method will not work for you.
Read also: Best PS4 Controller with Paddles
How to use your PS4 controller on your PC via DS4Windows
DS4Windows is free software that emulates an Xbox controller and makes it much easier for you to play games on your laptop with your PS4 controller. Most PC games are designed to work with Xbox controllers.
They require XInput provided by Xbox controllers but not by others like the PS4 controller, which uses a generic DirectInput driver.
To connect your PS4 controller to your laptop and play your favorite games through this method:
- Download DS4Windows
- Extract the .zip file and run DS4Windows.exe.
- Click on “Step 1: Install the DS4 Driver”.
- Click on “Finish” after the driver installs.
- Connect your PS4 controller to your laptop using the steps earlier shown, and you are ready to play!
So there you have it – all the steps necessary to have you enjoying your games on your laptop with a PS4 controller, both wired and wirelessly. If you follow them precisely, you will get your DualShock 4 connected and playing in no time.
Read also: Cheap Gaming Monitor for PS4
John follows everything happening in the tech industry, from the latest gadget launches to some of the big-name moves in the industry. He covers opinionated pieces and writes on some of the biggest names in the industry. John is also a freelance writer, so he shares articles on freelancing every now and then. email: email@example.com Learn more about tekpip and the team here on our about us page.