Have you recently dropped your AirPods in water by mistake and you don’t know what to do? The thought of losing your favorite AirPods can be especially painful when you remember how much it cost you to purchase them.
Or let me guess, you’re here because your AirPods have already taken an unwanted dive and they are now wet. Well, I feel your pain! However, you are in the right place. Let’s help you bring your AirPods back to “life”.
Before we proceed, here is a word of caution: resist the urge to shake your AirPods immediately after taking them out in a bid to force the water out. This can damage them because some soft parts can easily peel off from the glue this way.
Dropped AirPods in Water? Here Are Things to Do If AirPods Get Wets
The first time it happened to me, I was temporarily dumbfounded. The shock was from a brief thought that I’ll have you buy another expensive pair. But I was able to salvage the situation, and so can you.
Method One: If You Managed to Get It Out Within Minutes
Don’t try to connect the AirPods to any device, nor should you try to use them immediately just because it looks dry. Written on Apple’s website under maintenance of AirPods, using a microfiber cloth, or any other clean, dry cloth to dry the AirPods thoroughly is recommended. After that, place them upside down to air out. This should be done immediately after you manage to get the AirPods out.
Do not air them out in the charging case because water may leak out and damage the case. You should dry them out in an open place so they will dry out properly.
To be safe, air dry for at least an hour. You can then connect and use it. If it works fine, congratulations.
Read also: Best Wireless Earbuds with Charging Case
Method Two: Dry Using Desiccants
Dropped your AirPods in water and you have tried the first method but still with no success? It means there is still water hiding somewhere inside the pods. Get yourself a container and some desiccant packets. If you are wondering what desiccants are, they are the small packets that are always labeled with “do not eat” that always come with electronics, shoes, or other packaged products.
The particles inside the packets are designed to absorb moisture. Get some packets in the container and drop your AirPods in the same container and seal up for some hours. When you take the AirPods out after some hours, you can be sure that any remaining water in them will have been out. Connect your AirPods and start using them.
Oh! Are you thinking of using uncooked rice in place of desiccants? Although this can soak any remaining moisture out of devices like phones, it can be a little tricky with AirPods because grains of rice may find their way into the AirPods.
If none of these methods works for you, the third method is the only way out.
Method Three: Replace your AirPods
If you accidentally dropped AirPods in water and the two above-mentioned methods cannot fix them, it means there has been permanent damage to your AirPods, consider buying another pair.
What to do when AirPods get wet – A checklist
- Dry with a microfibre cloth.
- Place upside down on a microfiber cloth and let dry for 4 hours or more, depending on how long they were submerged.
- Use the Water Eject on your iPhone.
- Try to sundry them for a few hours.
Sounds to get water out of AirPods – Where to find these?
You can find sounds to better eject water from your AirPods on YouTube. Consider this, for example. The sounds are designed with deep tones and medium to high pitches to create vibrations to remove water from the AirPods.
Do AirPods Have Water Damage Indicator?
No, AirPods don’t have water damage indicator. Almost every product from Apple comes with a liquid damage indicator that alerts you when there has been water damage, but unfortunately, that isn’t the case with Apple AirPods.
So, how will you know if there has been water damage? Basically, if after you unintentionally dropped AirPods in water, you try to connect it to your laptop or iPhone and it is not connecting after doing all you reasonably can, that is an indication of permanent water damage. Other indications of permanent water damage might be an inability to charge the AirPods or the AirPods not coming ON.
Read also: How to Get Water Out Of Phone Charging Port
Can You Use the Water Eject on AirPods?
Yes, you can use the water eject on AirPods. And your AirPods should be good as new afterward. However, if you will be successful in using the app, much depends on the timing. Just after you accidentally dropped AirPods in water, you must use the app immediately if you will ever save the AirPods this way.
The Water Eject app was designed to offer valuable shortcuts to Apple users after their device accidentally comes in contact with water. To use it,
- Download the app on your iPhone
- Pair your AirPods with your iPhone
- On the Home Page, locate the Water Eject tab and click on it
- Once the water starts dripping out of the AirPods, get a clean and dry cloth to wipe the Aipods dry
- Repeat the process a couple of times
- Connect the AirPods to see if it works
Read also: Can You Wear AirPods in The Shower?
How to eject water from AirPods?
Like iPhones, the Water Eject feature also expels water from your AirPods when you’ve dropped them. First, make sure you’ve installed Siri Shortcuts and Water Eject on your iPhone. If you don’t have Siri Shortcuts on your iPhone, you can read how to install it here. Once you’ve installed the Water Eject shortcut, follow these procedures:
- Connect the AirPods to your iPhone and raise the volume to the highest. Don’t wear them.
- Cover the sensors on both AirPods, open the Water Eject shortcut in your iPhone, and activate it.
Your AirPods would start to vibrate, and the water will slowly drip out. When it does, pat it dry with a microfiber cloth or dry towel. When the process is complete, you will get a notification. You can repeat the process if the AirPods haven’t completely dried.
Where is the water eject button for AirPods?
There is no Water Eject button on AirPods if you drop them in water. You can only activate the Water Eject feature on your iPhone when connected to your AirPods.
Is the water eject shortcut safe?
The Water Eject shortcut is an effective and safe feature when your iPhone or AirPods are dropped in water. It also works for the AirPods Pro.
Can Apple tell if AirPods have water damage?
Unfortunately, unlike iPhones, AirPods don’t have the Liquid Contact Indicator to tell if water has gotten into them when they’re dropped in water. You can only suspect this when the speakers sound muffled or short circuits and refuse to connect.
Can you replace one AirPod?
If you’ve dropped your Airpods in water, lost them, or some other damage has come to them, you can buy a replacement. One AirPod ear costs $69 for a replacement, whether or not the AirPods are under warranty.
Can you wear AirPods in the shower?
No, you cannot use your AirPods in the shower; it is equivalent to dropping them in water. AirPods are water-resistant and not waterproof. They can withstand sweat and exposure to light moisture. You mustn’t expose your AirPods to running water, rain, or even a swimming pool.
Can you wear AirPods in the sauna?
No, it is not advisable to wear AirPods in a sauna. They aren’t waterproof, and neither are they heatproof. Subjecting to high temperatures would damage them.
Can AirPods survive the washing machine?
There are chances of your AirPods surviving a tussle in a washing machine. Make sure to properly dry them for at least 12 hours after taking them out of the washing machine.
Does dropping AirPods damage them?
AirPods are made from lightweight plastic and designed to withstand a fall from a drop of 10 meters. So dropping your AirPods won’t immediately do damage to them. The case protects the AirPods from any damage. However, repetitive falls would eventually damage your AirPods, so be careful not to drop them too often.
Does your AirPod warranty cover water damage?
No, physical damage, including water damage to your AirPods, is not covered by the standard one-year warranty. It will cost you $69 to replace an AirPod and $89 if it’s an AirPods Pro. If your AirPods are under the AppleCare+ warranty for Headphones, a service fee of $29 will be charged for replacement.
What Airpods are waterproof/water-resistant, and which aren’t?
None of the AirPods are waterproof, and only the 3rd Generation AirPods and AirPods Pros are water-resistant with an IPX4 rating. This means that they can withstand light exposures to moisture like sweat or rain but aren’t designed to be submerged underwater or used in running water.
What can I do if my AirPods don’t work after drying them off?
Your only other option is to buy a replacement. It will cost you $69 to replace an AirPod and $89 if it is an AirPods Pro. If your AirPods are under the AppleCare+ warranty for Headphones, a service fee of $29 will be charged for replacement.
Dos and Don’ts with water-resistant AirPods or AirPods Pro?
- Don’t expose them to running water, like placing them under a faucet or a shower.
- Don’t swim with your AirPods or submerge them.
- Avoid putting them in a washing machine or dryer.
- Don’t drop them or expose them to some other physical impact.
What to do if you get anything other than water on Your AirPods?
If your AirPods fell into anything other than water, maybe mud, or soup, you can fix it the same way you do water damage:
- Dampen a piece of clean cloth with fresh water and wipe the AirPods clean.
- After, dry them with a soft, microfiber, lint-free cloth.
- Put them in a container of rice or out in the open to dry them thoroughly before outing them back in the case.
Accessorize your AirPods to keep them protected – Top accessories and how they protect your AirPods
To keep your AirPods safer and less prone to damage, there are some cool accessories you can outfit them with, making them safer and easier to use:
- AirPods case: A small leather or plastic pouch that you can use to keep your AirPods, including your charger or your keys. Big enough to be hard to misplace and small enough to be easily carryable. You can easily find some on Amazon.
- AirPods ear hooks: Your AirPods are susceptible to damage from falling, especially when they’re in your ear and not in their charging case. By getting ear hooks, you can give your AirPods a more secure grip and reduce their risk of dropping. There are various kinds of these products on Amazon.
- AirPods magnetic straps: The AirPods straps look like earphone chords; they are long, lightweight, and can be slung around your neck. This secures your AirPods from falling during activities like sports or dancing. Again, you can check Amazon for such a product.
- How to Get Water out of Phone Speakers
- Dropped Phone in Water, Liquid, or Toilet? – What to do
- Why Do My AirPods Die So Fast?
- How Long Do AirPods Take to Charge from Dead?
- Why Is One AirPod Louder Than the Other?