All smartphones come with SIM Cards that make it easy for users to make phone calls and send messages. However, it is also possible for you to use a smartphone without a SIM card.
Without a SIM Card on your iPad, you may still be able to access the internet, play movies, and receive and send iMessages. The Apple iPad, for instance, offers models that may not require you to get a SIM card.
With that knowledge, it is normal to ask questions like, “do iPads have phone numbers?”
Some iPads have phone numbers, while some don’t. Apple offers two models of iPads, one with WiFi-only features and the other with WiFi + Cellular. The Cellular versions are the only ones that can have a SIM Card, meaning Cellular iPads have phone numbers assigned to them.
Though the Cellular versions usually have phone numbers, you cannot call the number. To do that, you would need to be connected to your iPhone. The Cellular iPad versions can only receive and send texts. They can also access the internet.
Though Apple didn’t design the WiFi versions to have phone numbers, they can also have phone numbers associated with them if you connect them to your iPhone or the phone numbers of the SIM cards you insert.
Yes, you can. Whether iPads have phone numbers or not, you can use them like regular phones in different ways. All you need to do is perform specific set-ups like pairing your iPad with your iPhone.
Setting up your iPad’s configuration to function as a phone is relatively easy if you follow the simple steps we will discuss later in this article.
One good way to get a free phone number that lets you use your iPad like a phone would be to use Dingtone.
Dingtone is a Voiceover Internet Protocol (VoIP) service provider that provides real phone numbers for iPad users. Follow the process below to get a free phone number on your iPad:
- STEP 1: Go to your Apple Store and install the Dingtone app on your iPad.
- STEP 2: Create your account on the App
- STEP 3: Enter your location and area code and obtain your phone number
You can do this by syncing your iPhone with your iPad. As long as your iPad is synced to your iPhone, you can use your iPhone’s phone number to do most things you would typically do with your iPhone.
For instance, if you want to make FaceTime calls, you can find your phone number on your iPad by following the process below:
- STEP 1: Go to “Settings” on your iPad device
- STEP 2: Locate “FaceTime” and tap on it
- STEP 3: Find the “You can be reached by FaceTime at” section and click on it.
- STEP 4: You will see a list of ways people can reach you; by your iPhone’s phone number and email address.
- STEP 5: Select how you want people to identify you in your “Caller ID” section, either by email address or phone number.
You can send and receive texts or audio and media messages through the Messages app on your iPad.
To send messages on your iPad device:
- STEP 1: Locate the “Compose” icon at the left top corner of your screen to begin or continue an existing conversation.
- STEP 2: Click on the “Add” icon to choose a recipient or input your recipient’s contact name, phone number, or Apple ID.
- STEP 3: Tap on the “Text Field” to enter your message.
- Click on the “Send” button to send your message.
To reply to a text you received:
- STEP 1: Go to your “Messages” app.
- STEP 2: Click on the conversation you intend to respond to in your messages list.
- STEP 3: You can also go to the search field to search for the conversation you intend to respond to.
- STEP 4: Click on the text field to enter your message
- STEP 5: Tap the send button to send a message to your recipient.
Follow the steps below to find your phone number on iPad AT&T:
- STEP 1: Open your AT&T iPad device.
- STEP 2: Go to “Settings” on the device.
- STEP 3: Locate the “General” button and click on it.
- STEP 4: Tap the “About” section.
- STEP 5: Slide open the page to view the “Cellular Data Number.”
- STEP 6: Click the “Cellular Data Number” button to view your iPad phone number.
If the Cellular Data Number displays “Unknown” as your phone number, your account may be having a problem, or your SIM is not intact. To fix this, eject the SIM Card and insert it properly again.
If that does not fix the problem, contact your wireless provider for a professional fix.
Read also: How to Sign Into iMessage on iPhone, iPad
You need to consider certain things before setting your iPad up for making calls.
Even if you are using a Cellular iPad, you can only use the device’s SIM Card for data. You need an iPhone to use your iPad’s SIM Card to make calls.
Your calls will come from your iPhone device, but your iPhone will relay them to your iPad with the aid of the Continuity feature.
The continuity feature on the iPad operates using your Apple ID account. It identifies the account’s owner on both devices before sending personal information to your iPhone or iPad.
You will need to connect your iPhone and iPad to the same WiFi connection before your iPhone will be able to send information to your iPad.
Now you can set up your iPad for calls by following the process below:
- STEP 1: Go to the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
- STEP 2: Tap on the “Calls” section, and click “Calls on Other Devices.”
- STEP 3: Turn on “Allow Calls on Other Devices.”
- STEP 4: A list of your Apple devices will show up.
- STEP 5: Locate your iPad and turn on the button next to it.
Read also: Is Cellular iPad Worth It?
Here is a list of some of the best free calling apps for iPads.
Skype is supported by many devices, including iPhone and iPad. The Skype app offers a wide range of free local and international calls to Skype and non-skype users. It also features HD video calls.
WhatsApp is the most popular Voice over Internet Protocol (VolP). The App has over a billion users and features end-to-end encryption that secures the privacy of its users.
The Google Hangout app is a user-friendly interface, and it features a ton of features for its wide range of users all over the globe.
The App grants free video and voice calls and allows you to send texts, photos, and GIFs for self-expression.
The social giant Facebook has made it possible for its billions of users to connect with family and friends with just one tap.
The Viber Messenger app on IOS allows millions of users worldwide to perform free audio and video calls.
Viber identifies your phone number and shows you who you can connect with from your contact list.
We’ve discussed how to convert your iPad to your cellphone, which iPads have phone numbers, and how to make your iPads make phone calls.
We hope we’ve been able to help you learn more about your iPad and iPhone device.
- How to Force Quit on iPhone and iPad?
- Do I Need Cellular on My iPad?
- Is It Worth Replacing iPad Battery?
- How to Control F on iPad With or Without Keyboard