Apple ID verification issues including “cannot verify phone number Apple ID” can be very frustrating. This is often the case after an iOS update or when you lose your phone and try signing in to a new device.
Inability to verify Apple ID due to phone loss, phone replacement, or other issues that limit access to your phone number means you won’t be able to use a lot of services or access your iCloud account. This is often the case with those whose Apple ID has two-factor authentication.
Well, let’s explore several ways to fix this.
Cannot Verify Phone Number Apple ID – Recommended Fixes for Apple ID Verification Issues
Fix 1: Request Verification Code via SMS
- Activate your replacement phone
- Set it up using someone else’s Apple ID. This way you have a working phone with your phone number
- Then, sign in to iCloud. When it asks for a code, click Didn’t Get Code
- Then, choose Text Me A Code to get it on your new phone and you’re in
- Next, turn off two-factor authentication, erase and reset your new phone
- Then, set up the phone again using your Apple ID
Fix 2: Use Recovery Key
For this, you will need your Recovery Key and Apple ID password. With them, you can sign in to your account or add a new device or phone number. You can also remove devices that you have sold or lost.
- Go to the Apple ID account page >> enter your Apple ID and password
- Select “Can’t access your trusted devices” on the Verify Your Identity screen
- A pop-up window to enter your Recovery Key will come up
- Go to the Security section and click Edit
- Remove the device you no longer wish to use to verify your identity and replace it with another phone number
Fix 3: Use the Find My iPhone App
- From a family member’s iPhone using iOS 9 through 12, open the Find My iPhone app
- On the Sign In screen that appears, clear the Apple ID field. Make sure it’s empty.
- Then tap Forgot Apple ID or Password. Follow the steps that pop up.
- If you don’t see a sign-in screen, sign out, make sure the sign-in field is empty then tap Forgot Apple ID or Password and follow onscreen steps.
Fix 4: Account Recovery
If you don’t have enough information to get back into your Apple ID account, use account recovery as a last resort. It might take several days but you will get access to your account again.
- Request account recovery from iforgot.apple.com through your device browser and avoid using that device during the recovery period as it might cancel the request
- Once requested, you will get a mail confirming your request along with the date and time when you will likely regain access to your account.
- After the waiting period, you will get a text or automated call from Apple with instructions on how to regain access to your Apple ID
In some cases, you might be able to speed up account recovery or rest your password by simply verifying a 6-digit code sent to your primary email address.
John follows everything happening in the tech industry, from the latest gadget launches to some of the big-name moves in the industry. He covers opinionated pieces and writes on some of the biggest names in the industry. John is also a freelance writer, so he shares articles on freelancing every now and then. email: [email protected]