Getting a new gaming device is always something to look forward to, especially as it includes the latest features and exciting components.
There have been questions on how compatible the Xboxes were and if the same games can be played on the two different consoles.
So, can Xbox One Play with Xbox 360 online? Fortunately, we have done our research, and those concerns will be addressed in this article.
Can Xbox One Play with Xbox 360?
Yes, Xbox One can play with Xbox 360. Even though Xbox one was released seven (7) years after the latter, there are still some games players can play together on the two different consoles.
Although exceptions do exist and features such as screenshot sharing and game DVR are only specific to Xbox one. What’s more, there are games available that you can only play with an Xbox one console. The trick is to find what games are compatible with both.
Can Xbox 360 Play with Xbox One Online GTA 5
No, Xbox 360 cannot play GTA 5 (Grand Theft Auto) 5 with Xbox One online. This is because both consoles had different game releases, and there is no backward compatibility for you to enable the cross-play function between these consoles.
So, in this case, people with Xbox One consoles can play their version of GTA together. Likewise, people with Xbox 360 would play theirs as well.
Can Xbox 360 Play with Xbox One on Minecraft
Yes, Xbox 360 can play with Xbox One on Minecraft. Unlike GTA, Minecraft is backward compatible, so a player with an Xbox 360 console can play with someone who has an Xbox one console.
Also, you can resume the game on a different device. For example, if you upgrade from an Xbox 360 to an Xbox one, you can continue from where you stopped on your new console.
What Games Can Xbox 360 And Xbox One Play Together Online – A List
These are some games that both Xbox 360 and Xbox One can play together online due to their backward compatibility:
- Alice: Madness Returns
- Aliens Vs Predators
- Aces of the Galaxy
- Adventure Time: The secret of the nameless kingdom.
- Assassin’s Creed (I, II, and III)
- Assassin’s Creed: Rogue
- Assassin’s Creed: Liberation HD
- Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood
- Assassin’s Creed: Revelations
- Axel and Pixel
- Avatar The Last Airbender: Burning Earth.
- Assault Heroes
- Bejeweled (II & III)
- Borderland (I & II)
- Bound by flames
- Brave: The Video Game
- Burnout Revenge
- Burnout Paradise
- Bioshock (I & II)
- Bioshock Infinity
- Blue Dragon
- Brutal Legend
- Cabela’s Survival: Shadows of Katmai
- Call of Duty (II & III)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (II & III)
- Call of Duty: Ghosts
- Call of Duty: Gunslinger
- Call of Duty: World at War
- Cars: Mater National
- Cars 2: The Video Game
- Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
- Castle Crashers
- Castle Storm
- Castlevania: Lord of the Shadows (I & II)
- Castlevania: Lord of Shadow-Mirror of Fate (HD)
- Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
- Comic Jumper
- Cloning Clyde
- Crackdown (I & II)
- Dark Void
- Dark Souls
- Dante’s Inferno
- Dead or Alive Ultimate
- Dead or Alive 4
- Deadspace (I, II & III)
- Deadliest Warriors: The Game
- Deadliest Warriors: Legends
- Disney Universe
- Disney Bolt
- Doom (I & II)
- Dragon Age: Origins
- Dragon Age II
- Duke Nukem Forever
- Dungeon Siege III
- Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project
- Duck Tales: Remastered
- Enslaved: Odyssey to The West
- Elements Of Destruction
- Enchanted Arms
- Fable II & II
- Fable Anniversary
- Fable II Pub Games
- Fable Heroes
- Far Cry (II & III)
- Far Cry Classic
- Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime
- Grand Theft Auto IV
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- Gunstar Heroes
- Guardian Heroes
- Grid II
- Grid Autosport
- Halo (III and IV)
- Halo Wars
- Halo Reach
- Halo: Spartan Assault etc.
How to Play Xbox 360 Online
To play Xbox 360 online, you would need the following
- An Xbox 360 console
- Ethernet cables (for wired connections)
- Router or Modem
- Wireless Adapter (for wireless connections)
- Strong internet connection
After getting these things, follow these steps:
- First, you have to connect your Xbox 360 to the internet. This can be done using an ethernet connection (cables) or a wireless adapter for your Xbox 360. Ensure that you have a strong internet connection for this to occur.
- The next step is to turn ON your console and create a personal profile from the dashboard.
- Choose Join Xbox Live from the options.
- Follow the instructions onscreen and sign in. Fill in the required details as well.
- Select Xbox Live Gold and choose how long you want to subscribe.
NB: This step is needed for you to play games online. Choosing Xbox live Gold comes with some benefits. You would get free games and access to various discounts.
- Edit your gaming tag. One would be assigned to you by default, and you can then change it to make the tag unique.
- Finish your subscription process. You can choose to add a credit or debit card to your account.
- After this, you can share your game tag with friends and play with them online.
How to Get Multiplayer on Xbox One?
Follow these instructions to enable multiplayer on your Xbox One:
- Click on your web browser and go to the official Xbox website.
- Go to the Online safety tab and select.
- You would see a list of options. Enable “allow” on the following:
- You can join multiplayer games,
- You can add friends.
- You can play with people outside Xbox Live.
- You can create and join clubs.
Agreeing to these options would cause multiplayer settings to be enabled on your Xbox One.
How to Join Xbox 360 Party on Xbox One
To join an Xbox 360 party on Xbox one. Follow these steps
- Open any backward compatible Xbox 360 game on your Xbox One
- Press down on the View and Menu buttons on your controller simultaneously.
- This would cause the Xbox 360 dashboard to open. Click on Join party.
NB: The view and menu buttons are the two little buttons on your controller.
How Do You Talk at An Xbox Party?
When you want to talk with people and friends at an Xbox party, these are the steps to follow:
- Press down on the Xbox button. A guide would appear.
- Choose Parties & Chats
- Select the party to expand. You can then choose who to talk to at the party.
If you tried these steps and can’t hear what the other person is saying, use this troubleshooting tip. First, check your privacy settings to ensure you have enabled communication with other players. To do this,
- Go to Profile and System >> Settings >> Accounts >> Privacy and Online safety > Xbox privacy.
- Choose View details and customize and then select Communication and Multiplayer. Enable this setting to resolve the issue.
Read also: Why Does My PS5 Keep Turning OFF?
What Is the Backwards Compatibility on Xbox, And How Do You Use It?
Backwards compatibility on Xbox can be defined as a software or hardware system that successfully uses interfaces and data from earlier versions of the Xbox system. For example, certain games on Xbox 360, like the ones listed above, use backwards compatibility. So, players using Xbox One can access the games due to this feature.
It helps to ensure that old games are not made redundant. And, even though newer versions of games are being released. The previous ones can still be integrated into your new gameplayer.
How to Get Backwards Compatibility on Xbox 360?
Xbox 360 has some games that make it backwards compatible with other Xbox generations.
In chronological order, this is how the Xbox models were released
- The pioneer or original Xbox
- Xbox 360
- Xbox One
- Xbox Series X
How to Play Xbox 360 Games on Xbox One
To play Xbox 360 games on Xbox One. Follow these steps:
- If you have a disk of any Xbox 360 game that is compatible. Insert it into your Xbox One.
- The console will then download the digital copy of the game optimized to work with the Xbox 360 emulator on the Xbox One.
- You can now play your game.
NB: If you bought digital games on your Xbox 360, that is backwards compatible with Xbox One. Download it to your Xbox One and continue playing. An error message will display if your games are not backwards compatible.
So, can Xbox One play Xbox 360? If you missed it, the answer to that question is yes. However, it also depends on the catalog of games that you wish to play. Check if it is backwards compatible, and go ahead to enjoy your gaming experience.
- How to Remove Credit Card from Xbox Console and Live Account
- What Is The Xbox One Mic Monitoring?
- Is 1440p Monitor Good For Xbox Series X?
John follows everything happening in the tech industry, from the latest gadget launches to some of the big-name moves in the industry. He covers opinionated pieces and writes on some of the biggest names in the industry. John is also a freelance writer, so he shares articles on freelancing every now and then. email: firstname.lastname@example.org