For most people, the possibility of having their phone camera hacked is terrifying. It’s only natural that we don’t like the concept of being watched all the time, and we especially don’t want to be watched. Moreover, your smartphones can do practically everything and while most of us use them daily, malicious software can infect them and use them as a tool against us.
So can hackers see you through your phone camera? Unfortunately, in today’s world, it is easy to have your phone camera hacked (although still extremely unlikely). This is especially true if you’re using public WIFI, which is far less reliable and secure than your own home’s wi-fi network.
Can Hackers See You Through Your Phone Camera?
Yes, hackers can see you through your phone camera. All that is required is for someone to install a malicious app on your phone. It’s less likely that you’ve been “hacked”. While it’s possible, it’s usually far easier to trick you into installing an app or gain physical access to your phone.
While your average Joe can’t try to watch you through your phone camera, a surprising number of the programs that people install regularly do.
How to Tell if Your Phone Camera is Hacked
It depends on the phone, but malware that accesses your camera and takes photos or video without your permission can be difficult to detect. Some signs you can look out for are:
1. Freezing or Lagging Camera
Using the camera on your phone is the best way to determine whether it has been hacked. Then zoom in and out using your camera. One of the obvious signs that your camera has been hacked is if it is experiencing a lot of lags.
2. Random Activities on Your Phone
Another sign is seeing photos and videos in your gallery that you don’t recall taking. Of course, you can capture things by accident, but if you continually find new ones, it’s a clue that someone has access to your camera.
3. Phone Acting Weird
Another thing to keep an eye out for is your phone’s flashlight. Both the camera and the flash consume a lot of battery power. Therefore, if someone is remotely controlling your device, you will notice that it becomes very hot even when you are not using it.
The best example is when your phone abruptly turns OFF while you’re using it, which is yet another important indicator that it may have been compromised.
Read also: Where to Get Disposable Cameras Developed
Can Android Camera be Hacked?
Yes, an Android phone’s camera can be hacked. Spy apps can be used to achieve this. These apps are used to hack into someone’s phone and gain access to the camera and all the data stored on it so that they can take a picture or a video of your surroundings or check your albums remotely.
Codes To Check If Phone Is Hacked
Do you have the feeling that someone is listening in on every phone call you make? How do you know if someone is trying to track your phone activities? Many signs can help you detect a hacked device.
Using built-in phone tapping codes is a simple approach to finding and solving the problem. These shortcodes provide you access to sensitive data about your device’s security. These codes are:
- Call Redirection Code *#61#: Scammers can intercept your calls and divert them to a different number. Conditional call forwarding is the term for this. If you use this code, you’ll be able to see if somebody answers your calls while they go unanswered.
- Show who catches my data when I’m unavailable *#62#: Dialing this code will show who receives your text messages and calls when your device is switched OFF, or you’ve lost connectivity.
- Call Forwarding Code *#67#: When you’re on another line or reject the call, this code notifies you of calls and messages sent to other numbers.
- Call Diversion Code *#21#: Some hackers go even further and forward all of your calls and texts, regardless of whether you’re available or not. A diversion cancels and redirects call to a different line without ringing your phone, making it difficult to detect.
- Show all information on conditional phone forwarding *#004#: After dialing this code, you’ll have the full picture of conditional phone forwarding which means you’ll see who receives your calls and messages when you are out of reach, busy on another call, reject a call, and when you didn’t reply to a call.
- Code to Undo all Redirection Codes ##002#: If you tried the numbers above and got any call forwarding or redirections, you can immediately remove them with this code.
To be honest, there is no foolproof method of determining if your camera takes pictures or videos without permission. It’s difficult to tell if your phone has been hacked. Even though your phone’s camera can be hacked, it’s one of the least likely things to happen as it takes a higher skill level to pull off.
Hackers are interested in phones for a variety of reasons. The most common ones are to obtain your personal information and to steal your identity. You should also know that family members or significant others may place spyware on a loved one’s phone to learn more about what they’re up to but it is unethical and classified as a criminal offense.
- Can Someone Hack My Phone from My Number?
- Can You Forward Calls Without Having the Phone?
- How to Know If Someone Is Watching You Through Your Phone and Laptop Camera
- How to Divert Calls to Another Number
- How to Know If Your Phone Is Being Tracked by the Police