There are a couple of reasons you may want to block an annoying SMS sender without opening the message. First, I know you can’t be scammed by just opening a phishing SMS. But once you open the SMS, there’s a tendency you might want to interact with the message. The problem is, once you click on any link or reply to the message, then you may be in trouble.
By clicking a phishing message, you could unknowingly install malware on your phone that might cause the leak of your private information. So, once you receive an unwanted message and can read the content by swiping down your screen, I’ll advise you to block the SMS without opening it.
You could even want to block a number persistently disturbing you. Unfortunately, iPhone doesn’t allow you to block text messages on iPhone without opening it. But in this article, I’ll show you the hacks you can use to try block text messages on iPhone without opening it.
How to Block Text Messages on iPhone Without Opening It – Options You Have
Unlike Android smartphones, Apple has no easy procedure that lets you block text messages on iPhone without opening it. But there are a couple of ways to do it.
Read also: How to Text Someone Who Blocked You on Android & iPhone Apps
Option 1: Use Truecaller
- Go to the iOS App store and download and install Truecaller or use this link.
- Next, make Truecaller your default SMS app. To do this, go to Settings >> Apps >> Default applications >> SMS app >> and select Truecaller
- Open Truecaller and tap on Messages
- Find the SMS whose sender you want to block.
- Without opening the SMS, tap and hold your finger (long-press) until a white and blue check mark comes up
- At the top of the page, tap the more icon (the three dots at the top right corner)
- Tap Block (+ contact name/number)
Option 2: Block the Number Using the Default iOS Function
This method requires that you have the SMS sender’s number in your contact. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to your phone settings by tapping the Settings icon (the one in the shape of a gear wheel).
- Tap Messages on the new screen you are viewing.
- Then tap Blocked contacts and touch the item Add. Now select the contact you want to block in your iPhone’s address book, and that’s it.
How to unblock a number
Should you have second thoughts, you can start receiving SMS from blocked numbers by unblocking them.
- Go again to Settings >> Messages >> Blocked contacts section of iOS.
- Tap the Edit item located at the top right of the contacts to be “freed.” Then select the Remove button.
- To save the changes, tap the Finish item at the top right.
Read also: If Someone Blocked Me Will They Still Get My Texts?
Option 3: Use the Spam Filter for Unknown Senders
Suppose the messages you receive are sent to you via iMessage, the instant messaging system created by Apple. In that case, you can enable the spam filter and thus get rid of and avoid annoying messages.
How to enable the iPhone spam filter
- First, go to Settings.
- Then tap Messages and select Unknowns and spam on the next screen.
- Finally, turn the switch next to the Filter unknown senders item to ON.
- Then, open the Messages app. You will find a new tab on the right side of the screen named Unknown Senders.
All messages from numbers not present in your contacts will be grouped automatically in this section. You won’t see the messages once you open the Messages app. In addition, you will no longer receive notifications upon receipt of such messages.
This option doesn’t let you block the sender, but at least their messages will no longer disturb you, except you open the Unknown Senders tab.
How to disable Unknown Senders
If you change your mind, you can disable the iMessage spam filter anytime by going back to Settings >> Messages>> Unknown and spam. Then move the switch next to Filter unknown senders to OFF.
Option 4: Report Junk
- Start by opening the Messages app.
- Then long tap (tap and hold) the conversation you are interested in from the list.
- Tap on Report Junk
Tips: Any message you report as junk will be automatically deleted permanently. The iPhone Messages app will also report the sender to Apple. However, this still doesn’t stop the sender from sending more messages. Therefore, I recommend you block them.
How to Block an SMS Sender From Message Conversation
- To block an SMS sender, go to Messages and open the message conversation.
- Now, tap on the sender’s phone number at the top of the next screen.
- Then tap the (i) icon attached to the menu that opens.
- Tap the phone number again on the next screen.
- Tap Block contact
- Tap Block contact again to confirm you want to block them
- This method requires you to open the conversation to block the contact.
- After following the steps above, all messages from the selected sender will no longer come in. Your phone will not notify you of their messages, and no message will appear in the Messages app.
- Remember that the function in question blocks the receipt of text messages and phone calls, emails, and FaceTime calls from the numbers.
How to Block Text Messages on Android without Opening It
If there are a couple of things Android phones beat iPhones in, this is it. So iPhone users, look away…
- Open your Messages app and find the SMS whose sender you want to block
- Tap and hold on the sender until a blue checkmark comes up
- Now, tap the three dots at the upper right corner of the page.
- Tap Block
- Next, check the Report Spam option and tap OK. Easy peasy!
Read also: How to Unblock Someone on Duo