Nobody wants to transfer money to their bank account on a Friday when there is a 1-3 business working days processing time. Apple Pay proffered a solution to this with the Apple Pay Instant Transfer feature which allows you to transfer funds instantly to an eligible Mastercard or Visa debit card.
Within 30 minutes, money transferred should be at your desired destination. Unfortunately, many experience the “apple pay instant transfer not working” problem more often than it should happen, if at all.
Is your Apple Pay instant transfer not working? Here are possible causes and fixes for the problem.
Apple Pay Instant Transfer Not Working? Here Are the Causes
Apple Pay won’t transfer funds instantly for various reasons. It could be because your phone’s operating system is outdated, bad network, or an ineligible debit card. You may be experiencing any of the following issues:
- Apple Pay Instant Transfer is not available for use but the 1 to 3 days bank transfer is
- Funds sent from Instant Transfer does not immediately reflect in the bank account
- Apple Pay Instant Transfer keeps telling you to “add debit card” when you already have one added
- Apple Pay Instant Transfer refuses to transfer funds
If you are experiencing any of the above problems, here are possible reasons why.
You’re Not Transferring to A Visa Debit Card or Mastercard
If Apple Pay Instant Transfer will work, your debit card has to be a MasterCard or Visa debit card, not any other type. Also, the card must be current and in-service. If it’s outdated or expired, your transaction will most likely fail.
Your Region/Country Does Not Support Apple Pay
Some countries do not support the Apple Pay Instant Transfer feature. If you are in such a country or region, it won’t work. Here are countries and regions that support Apple Pay.
Weak Wi-Fi or Cellular Network
Unstable Wi-Fi connection or poor cellular network can cause slow connection for the Apple Pay app. Hence, transactions will slow down or not go through at all.
Your iOS Version is Outdated
Apple Pay is only functional with the latest iOS. If your device’s operating system is outdated, the Instant Transfer feature would most likely not work.
Slow Bank Network
When a transfer made from Apple pay does not reflect in your bank account within the allotted time, it could be a result of a slow bank network. The receiving bank may be experiencing network issues which could cause funds to arrive much later or to not arrive at all.
Apple Pay Instant Transfer Not Working? The Best Fixes
Fix 1: Re-enter Card Info
If your card is already added to the Wallet but the Instant Transfer option shows “add a debit card”, remove the card from Wallet and add it back again. You will most likely find it there when you try to use the Instant Transfer feature again.
Here is how:
- On your iPhone, open the Wallet app and tap your Apple Cash card.
- Next, tap the more button (the three dots in a black circle)
- Tap Transfer to Bank
- Enter the amount you want to send and tap Next
- Tap Instant Transfer
- If you have removed the card, you can tap Add Card and follow the instructions shown to re-add your Visa debit card or Mastercard
- Then tap “>” to select the card you want to transfer funds to and select the corresponding billing information for the chosen debit card
Fix 2: Update iOS
Make sure you have the latest iOS version installed. If for example you upgrade it to iOS 15.0.1 but find out that there is a 15.0.2 version, update it again. You may have to re-run the “check for update” function to get the latest available version. Go to Settings >> General >> Update.
Back up before you update as it might delete your Apple Pay and Apple Cash settings and links. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup. Turn on iCloud Backup to automatically update your iPhone.
Even if Apple Pay and Apple Cash say you need to set it up, do not worry. Just log in with your Apple ID and you will get things back in place.
Fix 3: Make Sure Your Debit Card is Eligible
The eligible debit cards are the Visa debit card and Mastercard. If you have neither or they are expired, Apple Pay Instant Transfer will not work
Fix 4: Make Sure Your Device is Eligible to Use with Apple Pay
Compatible iPhone models for Apple Pay are iPhone models with Face ID and iPhone models with Touch ID, except iPhone 5s.
Compatible iPad models are the iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad, and iPad mini models with Touch ID or Face ID. For compatible Apple Watch models and Mac models, check these devices compatible with Apple Pay.
Fix 5: Try a Different Cellular Network
If you get the “Apple Pay instant transfer not working” error message while connected to a cellular network, try to connect to Wi-Fi, then try again. You can also check that Wallet is enabled, that is green, for cellular in Settings > Cellular.
Read also: Does Walmart Take Apple Pay?
Fix 6: Set Date and Time Correctly
If your date and time are incorrect, your Apple Pay instant transfer would likely not work. Reset these in Settings > General > Date & Time. Also, make sure that you are not connected to a VPN as Apple Pay does not support VPN usage.
Fix 7: Initiate A Forced Reboot
This is one of the easiest fixes when Apple Pay Instant Transfer is not working. Just press and hold down the sleep/wake button and the volume down button at the same time until the Apple logo appears.
This way, you refresh your phone apps’ memory and restart your phone. With your Wallet refreshed, you may need to input your login details again. This might be all you need to get the Instant Transfer feature up and running.
Keep the following tips in mind as well:
- Use two-factor authentication with your Apple ID and make sure you sign in to iCloud and iMessage with the same Apple ID on whatever device you are using to send or receive money
- Make sure there is enough money on your Apple Cash card or an eligible debit card in your wallet before trying to make a transfer.
Note that when trying to send money, Apple Cash is used to pay first by default. If you want to use a different card, make sure you select that specific card.
- Does Target Take Apple Pay?
- How Often Do Credit Card Frauds Get Caught?
- Someone Used My Credit Card Online Can I Track Them?
- How Long Does A Visa Debit Card Refund Take?
- What Is Visa Provisioning Service?